A first aid kit for pets is unique from those used by humans. Here is a list of items that you can make your pet’s personal first aid kit.
1. Bandage material used for splinting and wound dressing:
(1 inch and 2 inch bandage tape, gauze or non stick telfa pads, 1 inch and 2 inch roll gauze, cotton roll).
2. Medications topical for external use: (Betadine solution for cleaning wounds, triple antibiotic cream for applying to affected skin areas, ear cleaning solution, and an eye irrigating solution).
3. Medication for internal use following Your Veterinarian’s Specific Instructions: (Diphenhydramine or Benadryl antihistamine, Pepsid AC or famotidine antacid, Imodium antidiarrheal, triple buffered asprin or Ascriptin non steroidal anti-inflammatory, hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting, and Nutrical or Karo Syrup for hypoglycemia).
4. Nail trimmer and quick stop or baking soda to prevent nails from bleeding.
5. Flea and tick spray.
6. Medical instruments: (hemostat, thumb forceps, bandage scissors, tourniquet, scalpel blade, and small sharp tissue scissors).
7. Diagnostic instruments: (thermometer, KY Jelly, flash light).
8. Cleaning Materials: (soap, water, paper towels, and plastic bag).
10. Medical records of your pet.
Some of these items are included for emergency situations only or when instructed specifically by your veterinarian.